Heidelberg University

Financial aid offered through the HGSFP

The Graduate School offers financial aid for several aspects of graduate study

All graduate students of the HGSFP are entitled to apply for funding for the following:

  • Soft skills courses at Heidelberg University
  • Bridging funds, funds to complete a thesis, or for the first year of our integrated master/doctoral programme (4+4 programme)

The Directorate may, at its discretion, fund other student activities. Before applying for such, we request that you contact the student representatives of the Graduate School, who may integrate your request into the student project plan for which a specific amount of funds is reserved annually.

Please note that we cannot fund attendance of conference visits, workshops or other scientific meetings of this kind. However you can apply to the Graduate Academy for support of this kind, see the information below.

Should you wish to apply for support as listed above - or any other forms of support required - please fill out the form that you will find on our internal pages, and note the regulations that you will find there. A link has been placed in the right hand box for your convenience.

Equal Opportunity Funding

In order to support women in science, the Heidelberg Graduate School of Fundamental Physics offers special aid for female doctoral students in specific instances, in addition to the usual support provided for all doctoral students, provided that sufficient funds are available.

Special support includes:

  • Financial aid for female doctoral students whose doctoral studies are delayed by childbirth or child care. Family support can also be made available for male doctoral students, if the case warrants it.
  • Support to attend meetings and conferences

Doctoral students requesting support must apply in the usual way by completing the form that can be found on the internal student pages, see the link on the right hand side of this page.

Other interesting information

Position paper of doctoral students in the union for education and science (GEW) (Unfortunately only in German)


Financial aid offered through the Graduate Academy

The Graduate Academy of Heidelberg University offers funding periodically for graduate students. At the moment financial aid is also available for travel, as well as for the completion of studies, if these take longer than envisaged.

Please see the website of the Graduate Academy for details on how to apply.